Saturday, June 7, 2014

My First Plenary Session

I've been sitting here trying to figure out where to start.  Then I looked up at my desk and saw this...
l

These are some of my papers from today!  I have not read most of them and after a full day all of the statistics are swirling around in my head a bit.  But I do know what I have taken away from the day, so that's where I'll start.

MacNamara v. Macnab

There is controversy and intrigue at the convention this year.  I'll do my best to sort it out and explain it all to you.  Our current LWVUS president is Elizabeth MacNamara the National Nominating Committee has put forth her name for another two year term along with the rest of the slate.  BUT there is another candidate, Deirdre Macnab, who has been nominated from the floor.  Macnab has literature and supporters everywhere.  They are passing out handouts and buttons.  The MacNamara camp is not being quiet, they too have buttons and many supporters. 

From what I understand Macnab was asked to be on the slate for the national board.  At first she accepted and then she withdrew, instead deciding to run for President from the floor. At our session today Macnab was nominated from the floor.  A meet the candidates session is planned for early Monday morning.  The structure of that is set, not without some disgruntled Macnab supporters.  Here are two tweets that were sent in the heat of all of this.

"Too bad board Nominee Elizabeth MacNamara shuts down applause for @Dierdra4Pres when nomination made from floor at #LWV2014 flustered"

"Nomination from floor blamed MacNamara for loss of membership. I think this was a deceptive use of stats.  I stand with MacNamara."  

You can follow all of this on twitter #lwv2014


Meetings, Food, Meetings, Food

I did make it to the 7:30 am caucus on electoral reform.  The focus was on the under representation of women in both national and local office.  One of the statistics that stood out to me is that the US ranks 98th worldwide for its percentage of national legislative seats held by women.  Election reform seems impossible to me but when I think of the suffragettes I realize that nothing is impossible!



We rallied around our sign.  This years' convention has representation from 47 states and the District of Columbia.  We have  630 voting delegates.  I sure hope that we don't have a vote that is so close that we have to use our red and green cards, it will take all day! ( everyone has red cards for no and green for yes. They are only used as a last resort if the voice vote and the standing up vote aren't clear).



We started of the plenary session with the Color Guard.  It was not lost on us that the person calling out the commands was a young woman. (I apologize to those of you who know the correct terminology for the Color Guard, clearly I do not!) This was followed by remarks from Lupe Valdez the Dallas County Sheriff.


We then heard from Houston Mayor Anise Parker.  She was amazing!!! I wish we could move her to Chicago, although some might have trouble understanding her accent. She noted that among the 30 mayors of major cities, 26 are Democrats.  "You don't become mayor by promising NOT to do things." At the end she thanked the League saying, "We (government) need the League because you watch us, you engage us, and you hold us accountable!"  This made me think of all the hard work of our observer corps, thank you your work it is vital.


I went to a working lunch where we discussed sustaining local Leagues.  It is fascinating to meet women from other Leagues, I'm learning so much.


Some of the IL delegation went out for bar-b-que.  It was served Texas style with no plates and a role of paper towels on the table!

It's almost 11:30, I have to go to bed.  Hold on to your hats we're in for a wild ride in the days ahead!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment